Assalamu Alaikum Dear Community Members,
Sammamish Masjid is actively seeking a full-time Imam. As you know, we are located in the beautiful Pacific North West, around 15 miles east of Seattle. Ours a beautiful city with more than 200 Muslim families living in and around its vicinity. The Sammamish Muslim community represents Sunni Muslims from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds. This community is growing fast, and needs a dynamic leader as an Imam for our Masjid to fulfill the religious needs of our growing community.
The Imam will liaise with worshippers at the Sammamish Masjid, will ensure that Imam Responsibilities (listed below) are performed to the highest satisfaction of the Sammamish Muslim Community. The Imam is expected to grow and develop a strong community relationship (and not just limited to the Muslim community). In addition to the day to day Imam responsibilities, the Imam will lead liaison between the Sammamish Muslim community and other Muslim communities in the Puget Sound Area. The Imam will participate in events that will promote the unification of all Muslim communities in the region as well as outreach events with non-Muslim communities. Bonding especially with the youth to educate and train them in Islamic traditions and etiquettes are some of the crucial functions the Imam is expected to lead. This individual will adhere to the Sammamish Muslim Association (SMA) by-laws, and report directly to the SMA Trustee chairman, and SMA board through its president or as delegated in special circumstances. Specifically:
- Lead the five daily prayers during what is to be agreed upon as working days. (working days will be prescribed and agreed upon by the board and the Imam to accommodate two days off per 7-day week – Friday, Saturday, and Sunday excluded.)
- Conduct Friday Jumuah prayer sermon including a youth dedicated Jumuah
- Conduct Ramadan prayers, including Quiyam U’Leil, and Taraweeh
- Participate in the development of curriculum for after school and weekend educational programs for kids of all ages. Classes include but are not limited to Quran memorization, Arabic studies and religious studies.
- Actively participate and administer after school and weekend kids programs as a teacher to kids of all ages and as a mentor to teenage children
- Actively participate, lead and administer Social and Family Matters (Marriages, Burials, etc.) of community members
- Organize and drive regular cadence of Qura’an and hadith explanations and weekly family Halaqa programs encouraging community speakers to participate
- Be fully responsible for the cleanliness of the Masjid by inspiring youth and community member to participate.
- Represent the Sammamish Masjid in religious conferences and events.
- Perform community counseling and Daawah programs.
- Must be a Sunni Muslim
- Must have a Bachelor degree or equivalent in Islamic Studies from a recognized University/Institute
- Must command proper recitation of Quran with proper Tajweed rules.
- Maintain a moderate and pleasant relation with all the members of the community.
- Ability to interact and guide youth of all ages
- Fluent in English
- Passionate and self-motivated about serving Islam and the community.
- Mature, Pious, Qari, possessing full command of the requirement of Salat
- Proven track record of continuous improvement and excellence in Islamic studies and knowledge base
- Well versed in Sharia’h and Islamic Jurisprudence
- Great communicator
Nice to have
- Ijaza on Quran recitation.
- Hafiz and 2 to 3 years Imam experience
- Fluent in Arabic
- Strong understanding of the different Islamic mazhahibs (Hanafee, Shaafiee, Maliki, hanibali)
- Teaching experience of 3-5 years in Quran & Islamic Studies, pre-school or elementary level
- Computer literate